How to make cupcakes for the more sophisticated guest :-)
To make 12 cup cakes:
1. 4oz (125 grams) butter, softened
2. 1 tsp vanilla essence
3. 1/2 cup of icing sugar (confectionary sugar)
4. 2 eggs
5. 1 cup of plain flour
6. 2 tsp baking powder
7. 1/4 cup of milk
8. 12 paper cupcake cases (You can purchase these in various colors, patterns and sizes. For this recipe we used regular sized cases.)
To make the decoration/topping:
9. Jelly, already made as per packet instructions
12. Icing sugar (confectionary sugar)
The first step of making butterfly cakes is the same method as making the basic cupcake.
For instructions on how to make the basic cupcake please click here,
then return here to learn how to create this 'butterfly' topping effect.
Once you have made your basic cup cakes, slice across the very top of the cup cake.
Place the sliced piece to one side - do not discard.
Add the sugar to the cream and whip. Don't over-whip but the mixture needs to be able to hold its shape.
Scoop out a small amount of jelly and cut into small pieces about the size of a peanut.
Place a tablespoon of whipped cream onto the top of the cake and then place a piece of jelly on top of the cream, in the middle.
Take the sliced piece of cake and cut into 2 pieces. Place each piece either side of the jelly to form wings.
Then dust with icing sugar (confectionary sugar).